The name of this corporation shall be the Berks County Medical Society Alliance, Inc. (Hereafter in these Bylaws the Berks County Medical Society Alliance shall be referred to as the Corporation.)
The object of this corporation shall be exclusively educational and charitable:
- To assist in those programs of the Berks County Medical Society that improves the health and quality of life for all people.
- To promote health education.
- To encourage the participation of volunteers in activities that meet health needs.
- To support health related charitable endeavors.
Section I —Membership in this Corporation shall be:
- Regular Active Members
- Limited Active Members
- Junior Associate Members
- Honorary Members
- Friend of the Alliance
Section 2 — Regular Active Members shall be:
- The spouse, partner, widow, or widower of a physician in Berks County
- Regular Active Members in good standing shall have a voice at all meetings, shall be eligible to vote and hold office.
Section 3 — Limited Active Members shall be:
- The widow or widower of a deceased physician of Berks County
- Alliance Members over sixty-five years of age.
- Active member who is the spouse of a retired or permanently disabled physician.
- Limited Active Members shall have all the privileges of Regular Active Members.
Section 4 — Junior Members shall be:
- the spouse or partner of a resident.
Section 5 — Honorary Membership shall be:
- granted to those members who have served as President of the Pennsylvania Medical Society Alliance
- Honorary Members shall have all the rights and privileges of Regular Active Members.
Section 6 – Friend of the Alliance
- A divorced physican spouce
- A family member, spouce or partner of a physician, friend within the medical community, or medical student who is interested in supporting the objectives of the Alliance
- A Friend of the Alliance shall have a voice at meetings and voting privileges. They shall be eligible for committee positions.
- There shall not be more than 3 Friends of the Alliance holding executive positions simultaneously.
- They shall be considered as ” Friends of Berks County Medical Society Alliance”
Section 1 — At a meeting preceding the annual meeting, the Finance Committee shall recommend to the Alliance the amount of dues for the following year. Members shall pay County dues and may pay National Dues.
Section 2 — The fiscal year shall be June first to May thiry-first
Section 1 — To be in “good standing” upon resignation, all dues must be paid up to date.
Section 2 — All resignations must be submitted to the Corresponding Secretary in writing.
Officers and Their Election
Section 1 — The officers of the Alliance shall be a President, President-Elect, two Vice-Presidents, Recording Secretary, Corresponding Secretary, Treasurer, and two Directors. The retiring President shall automatically become a Director
for a period of two years.
Section 2 — The election of officers shall occur annually at the regular meeting. A slate of officers shall be presented annually prior to the installation meeting. The slate shall be voted upon at the installation meeting. The officers shall assume duties as the close of the installation meeting.
Section 3 — The officers of the Corporation, together with the two Directors shall constitute the Executive Committee.
Duties of Officers
Section 1 — The President shall supervise all activities of the organization, preside at all meetings of the Alliance, appoint Chairman of all Standing and Special Committees. The President shall be a member ex-officio of all committees except the Nominating Committee.
Section 2 — The President-Elect shall be a member ex-officio of all committees. The President-Elect shall in the absence of the President, perform the duties of that office.
Section 3 — The Vice-President in order shall perform all the duties of the President in the absence of both the President and the President-Elect.
Section 4 — The Recording Secretary shall keep a record of the proceedings of the Alliance and report the same at each regular meeting unless otherwise ordered. The Recording Secretary shall call together the members of the Nominating
Committee immediately following their selection for the purpose of having them elect a chairman.
Section 5 — The Corresponding Secretary shall conduct the correspondence as directed by the Alliance or the Executive Board.
Section 6 — The Treasurer shall:
- Receive all monies of the Corporation, unless the Finance Committee directs that special accounts be set up;
- Deposit all monies in such banks as the Finance Committee directs;
- Collect all dues, keep an accurate account of all receipts, pay all bills approved by the Corporation and present a detailed report at each meeting unless otherwise ordered;
- Notify the Membership Chairman of each member whose dues have not been paid by March first;
- Compile a list of members in good standing and this shall constitute the membership list of the Corporation; and
- Submit the accounts for audit to the auditing committee and submit required tax returns to the IRS.
Section 1— Regular meetings shall be held at the discretion of the President and President-Elect from September to May, unless otherwise ordered.
Section 2 — Special meetings may be called by the President or upon the written request of five members. The object of the special meeting shall be stated in the call for the meeting.
Section 3 — The last regular meeting shall be the annual meeting unless otherwise ordered. The President’s annual report may be given at this meeting.
Section 4 — Nine members shall constitute a quorum.
The Executive Board
Section 1 — The officers of the Alliance and the Chairmen of the Standing Committees and Special Committees shall constitute the Executive Board.
Section 2 — The Executive Board shall hold five regular meetings during the year; one of them within one month after the new President takes office. Additional meetings may be called at the discretion of the President.
Section 3 — Four members of the Executive Board shall constitute a quorum
Section 1 — All Standing Committee Chairmen shall be appointed annually by the President. The Committee members shall be chosen by the Chairman in conjunction with the President.
Section 2 — The Finance Committee shall be comprised of the Chairman, the Treasurer and three other members. At a meeting preceding the annual meeting, the Committee shall present a Budget within the framework of which the Alliance
shall operate during the following fiscal year. The Committee shall have the direction of the expenditure of the Alliance monies.
Section 3 — A Nominating Committee, five in number, shall be formed at an Executive Board meeting and a regular meeting before February 28th. The immediate Past President shall be one member, the Executive Board shall elect two members
from its own number; and two members shall be elected by the Corporation from the general membership. These five Committee members shall elect their own chairman. It shall be the duty of the Committee to submit to the Corporation, at the meeting preceding the last regular meeting, the names of the candidates for office. The consent of each candidate must be secured before her name is presented.
Section 4- The audit Committee shall be comprised of the Chairman, the President- Elect, and 3 other persons from the general membership. The Treasurer will serve as as resource as the need arises. The Audit Committee will review the finanacial transactions of the previous fiscal year and make recommendations to the Board to improve fiscal management.
Section 5 — Other committees, Standing or Special, shall be appointed by the President as the members or the Board of Directors shall from time to time deem necessary to carry on the work of the organization.
Policy of Affiliation
Section 1— The Alliance shall not affiliate with other federated organizations nor provide for representation of other organizations. It shall not have official representation on the board of any other organization except with the
approval of the Executive Board of the Corporation.
The current edition of Roberts Rules of Order, Newly Revised shall govern the Alliance in all cases to which they are applicable and consistent with the Constitution and Bylaws.
These Bylaws may be amended at any regular meeting of the Corporation by a two-thirds vote of the members present and voting, provided the proposed amendments have been submitted in writing at a previous meeting, or have been mailed to every member.
In the event of the dissolution of Berks County Medical Society Alliance, all assets remaining after the payment of debts and obligations shall be given to the Berks County Medical Society.
- Gifts: All gifts ordered to the Alliance for official use must be approved by the Executive Board before acceptance.
- Petitions: Before any petition is circulated throughout the Alliance, it must have the approval of the Executive Board.
- Courtesies extended to former members of this Alliance or members of other county auxiliaries shall be at the discretion of the Executive Board.
- Presidents of Staff Doctors’ Wives’ Auxiliaries shall be invited to attend Executive Board Meetings as ex-officio members.
- Refunds of payment for any Alliance affair shall be made only to those requesting them before the published deadline.